Everything you need to know about Atlassian’s plans for a future in the Cloud
Last year, Atlassian announced a shift in focus to cloud and data center products. Effectively, this spells the end for Atlassian Server products, but there’s still a fair way to go before the final goodbye.
Although the move to cloud may still seem daunting for some businesses, particularly those with large, well established server instances, there’s plenty of support available.
Not only are Atlassian doing all they can to make the migration as smooth as possible for their customers, with a highly skilled contractor from ClearHub, your move to the cloud couldn’t be more straightforward.
Here’s everything you need to know about the end of Atlassian Server, what’s to come for Data Center and Cloud, and some next steps you should take to safeguard the future of your tools.
The end of Atlassian Server
February 2, 2021 – Earlier this month, Atlassian officially stopped selling licensing for server products. If you have an existing Server licence, you may continue to purchase and receive maintenance and support for up to three years.
The price of existing server licenses also increased on this date, to ensure Atlassian are able to provide security and maintenance on the server platform. (Fisheye/Crucible users and those who purchased Jira Software, Jira Core and or Confluence on or after the 2nd of October 2019 will not be affected)
May 1st, 2021 – After this date, no new Server applications will be listed on the Atlassian Marketplace. Existing customers can continue purchasing Server apps until the 2nd of Feb 2023.
February 2nd, 2024 – Three years on from the end of server sales, you will no longer be able to renew and receive maintenance and support for your licenses. Any renewals for apps will also be set to end on this date.
What’s to come – Data Center
New apps included in subscription – The following Atlassian built apas are now included with a Data Center subscription:
- Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Portfolio for Jira) in Jira Software Data Center.
- Team Calendars for Confluence in Confluence Data Center
- Analytics for Confluence in Confluence Data Center
- Insight – Asset Management in Jira Service Management Data Center.
- Insight Discovery in Jira Service Management Data Center.Price change – On February 2nd 2021, a price increase came into effect for new and existing DC subscriptions, to reflect the value of investments.
Priority Support – Priority Support will now be included with all Data Center subscriptions (with the exception of Bitbucket subscriptions with less than 251 users).
Loyalty Discount – The Data Center loyalty discount has replaced the now discontinued Server to Data Center crossgrade credits. The discount will aid server users in their transition to Data Center and provide a multi-year offer on licensing for Data Center.
Community and Classroom Licensing – In response to customer feedback, Atlassian has introduced free community subscriptions for Data Center. This means that the creation of a DC quote will be converted to licensing for community or classroom and Marketplace apps in the instance will automatically receive the discount.
Server community customers with active app installs will have the choice to migrate to Cloud with a 75% discount or Data Center with a 100% discount.
Bamboo Data Center (Coming soon) – Atlassian plan to make Bamboo Data Center available in the near future.
What’s to come – Atlassian Cloud
Cloud Enterprise – From February 2nd 2021 Atlassian’s Cloud Enterprise plan went live and is now available to purchase.
Data residency update – Atlassian soon hope to make data residency options available to customers planning to migrate to the Cloud, with more details to follow.
Advanced Change Management – New
- Release Tracks: Cloud Enterprise admins can now manage product releases and batching duration.They can enjoy greater flexibility while learning new updates, testing existing workflows and configurations, and preparing training and support for your users.
- Sandbox: Allows you to test apps and preview changes in an isolated sandbox environment before rolling them out. Premium and Enterprise plan customers can initiate one sandbox per product instance for as many instances as they have. Information on data cloning and the ability to copy data from production to sandbox for Jira Software and Confluence to follow.
Cloud bundled apps – coming soon
- Insight: Between March and April 2021, Insight capabilities will be integrated into the Jira Service Management Premium and Enterprise plans. Insight Discovery will become a free Atlassian Marketplace app and used with Insight on a site that has Jira Service Management Premium or Enterprise licensed users.
- Team Calendars: Team Calendars for Confluence Cloud is now a standard feature of Confluence Cloud Premium, and is no longer available to purchase as a separate add-on to Confluence.
Your next steps
While Atlassian’s timeline still allows plenty of time for Server customers to plan what to do next, acting sooner rather than later can help you ensure the best outcome for your business.
Our expert Atlassian contractors can help you with all aspects of cloud migration, and will ensure that the whole process runs as smoothly as possible for you and your teams. As well as technical migration support, our contractors will be able to deliver on-site training and can work with you to make sure you’re getting the best from your Atlassian tools.
At ClearHub, not only do we connect businesses with top industry experts, but we ensure every contractor we place is skill vetted and has the right technical support in place to make every project a success.
Use the form below to find out more about how we can help place the right contractor with your team.